National Headache Institute in Miami, FL
Personalized Headache Diagnosis and Treatment
The National Headache Institute in Miami, Florida, utilizes a unique and highly effective treatment philosophy that begins with discovering and diagnosing the underlying cause of headache pain. We specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of headaches and the underlying neurological conditions and disorders that lead to them. This approach allows us to discover the root of the problem, making treatment more effective.
For those struggling with headaches in Miami, we offer many safe, effective, non-invasive treatment options to help you find relief from chronic or severe headaches. We develop a personalized treatment plan for every patient and are committed to helping you live a life free of debilitating headache pain.
Discovering the Underlying Cause of Headache Pain
Our cutting-edge diagnostic technology allows us to determine and target the true cause of pain.
Many different underlying conditions can lead to headache pain, including allergies, problems with the neck and spine, blood vessel or artery issues such as pressure or narrowing, and neurological conditions. We have many diagnostic tests available to help discover the cause of headache pain, such as:
- Allergy Testing: Allergic reactions put pressure on the sinuses, head, and respiratory system and are often an underlying cause of chronic headaches.
- EEG (electroencephalogram): The EEG tests electrical activity in the brain and helps discover or rule out seizures, epilepsy, or vascular problems that could be an underlying cause of headache pain.
- ANS (autonomic nervous system) test: The ANS test measures automatic internal functions such as blood pressure, blood flow, sweating, etc. to determine if autonomic nervous system factors may be responsible for a patient’s headaches.
- VNG (videonystagmography), or “Balance Test”: This test helps determine if vestibular (inner ear) disease is a possible underlying cause of headache pain.
- Headache Ultrasounds: We utilize a variety of ultrasounds, including ECHO, Transcranial Doppler, Extracranial Carotid Doppler, and the Extracranial Bilateral Study to search for many underlying causes of headache pain.
The National Headache Institute offers a variety of treatment options for those who suffer from headaches in Miami. Each treatment is designed to target specific types of headaches and the underlying causes.
- Botox Therapy: Botox treatment is a fast and easy procedure used to treat chronic migraines and certain tension headaches. It works by reducing the activity of certain facial muscles that trigger pain.
- Neuro Proliferation Therapy (NPT): NPT Therapy is used to treat immediate headache flare-ups and severe pain. Dextrose is used to decrease inflammation by allocating and isolating the pain, producing almost immediate results.
- Proliferation Therapy (PROLO): PROLO Therapy works by injecting a mild irritant solution into a damaged or painful joint in order to create an area of small, controlled inflammation. This triggers the body to heal the original damage responsible for the pain or inflammation.
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP): PRP performs many beneficial functions, including initiating and accelerating tissue repair, assisting with the development of new blood vessels, and stimulating the wound-healing process.
- Neuro-Muscular Therapy: This treatment method has been found to be helpful in patients whose headaches or migraines are caused by muscle tension or misalignment or those who have other symptoms along with their headaches, such as muscle and joint pain.
- Neuro-Fascial Hydro-Dissection: This treatment option is used to alleviate chronic headaches caused by nerves that have become “entrapped” due to pressure and compression.
Echocardiogram can be used to diagnose blood flow issues throughout the body, including the heart, which could create the conditions for severe headaches. It is a form of ultrasound and can also be used to determine the root cause of migraines.
This diagnostic treatment measures blood flow in the brain’s blood vessels by measuring ultrasound wave echoes passing through the cranium. It can detect blood flow issues affecting the brain that can cause severe migraines.
Extra-cranial Carotid Doppler
Many chronic headache and migraine problems originate in the neck. Using the extra-cranial carotid Doppler test – also known as Doppler ultrasound – the health of arteries in the neck can be examined in detail. This allows us to locate narrowing and blockages in the arteries.
During this test, an ultrasound probe is placed on the patient’s neck. High-frequency sound waves can be used to create a complete picture of the arteries. From these images, we are able to measure the speed and direction of blood flow. The whole process takes only minutes.
Extracranial Bilateral Study
This form of diagnostic builds upon the information provided by the Transcranial Doppler to provide a complete picture of cranial blood flow. It helps recognize weakened extracranial arteries.
Allergies are the hidden cause of many chronic headaches. An allergic reaction causes pressure in the head, sinuses, and across the respiratory system. The body’s natural histamine reaction can also prompt sensitivities that lead to headaches.
Botox is one of the latest alternatives for a headache and migraines. It is a prescription medicine that is injected with the goal of preventing headaches for chronic migraines patients who have on average 15 or more days each month with a headache lasting four or more hours each day. Botox isn’t just for facial rejuvenation. By reducing the activity of certain facial muscles, it can alleviate the underlying causes of certain tension headaches. Florida patients appreciate the fast, easy procedure and long-lasting pain relief.
Neuro Proliferation Therapy (NPT) is the approach our physicians take in order to attack immediate headache flare-ups and severe pain. By using Dextrose, the physician allocates and isolates the pain, by decreasing the inflammation in the patient; the results are almost immediately. Your pain will ultimately dictate whether neuro-prolotherapy is right for you.
If our doctors can find direct, measurable damage to one of your joints or tendons, we’ll recommend treating the damage directly. However, if we can’t find any damage, and if other facts in your history and symptoms indicate that the pain is nerve-based, neuro-prolotherapy may be the effective treatment you’ve been looking for. In some instances, your pain may be the result of many different factors, and you may need a mixture of different treatments carefully choreographed to fit your needs.
Our doctors have used neuro-prolotherapy to treat all of the following:
- Knee pain
- Shoulder pain
- Neck pain
- Hip pain
- Muscle injuries
- Tennis elbow
- Bell’s Palsy
- Face Pain
- And others
Proliferation Therapy (PROLO) uses a mild irritant solution (usually consisting of various sugars) that we inject directly into the damaged or painful joint, creating a small, controlled inflammation. This controlled inflammation is a reparative type or proliferative type. The therapy triggers your body to heal the original damage that originated the pain or inflammation. Your body regenerates new and shields, whole tissue, and you experience less pain and better function. This therapy approach is performed every 4-6 weeks. Each patient achieves different results depending on the severity of the pain.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) is blood plasma containing concentrated platelets. These platelets contain a vast amount reservoir of biologically active proteins and mediators, including platelet growth factors, which are vital for the initiation and acceleration of tissue repair and degeneration. These bioactive proteins help initiate and/or accelerate connective tissue healing as well as bone and possibly joint surface repair. They can promote the development of new blood vessels and stimulate the wound healing process. Many joints pre-surgery patients are expediting PRP as an alternative to surgical procedures.
Moreover, our PRP treatments can stimulate the hair follicles you thought were dormant, leading to increased hair growth and thicker, fuller hair! Whether you’ve recently had hair follicles implanted or you want to try to restart your natural hair follicles, our PRP treatment may be able to help. The growth factors in the platelets may be just what you need to bring those follicles (and your hair) back to life.
Neuro-muscular therapy, also known as NMT, is a precise and thorough examination of soft tissues throughout the human body. Specialized protocols, developed for each region of the body, can be used one at a time. These build on one another to produce pain relief across Floridians.
NMT can be helpful in situations where headaches or migraines are produced in part by muscle tension or misalignment. Patients in Miami, FL who are good candidates for NMT often present with a range of physical symptoms outside of their headaches, including muscle and joint pain.
All pain signals throughout the body are transported across the nerves as electrical pulses. Hydro-dissection can be used to treat nerves that have become “entrapped” as a result of direct pressure that causes them to be compressed. This state can give rise to chronic pain.
Initially, ultrasound is used to determine which nerves are entrapped. Once this is done, a natural solution is injected into the area of the nerve. This specialized solution naturally releases the nerve and also serves to nourish it, helping restore complete health after prolonged stress.
The hydro-dissection process often focuses on nerves in the face, head, neck, and shoulders because these are most likely to contribute to headache pain. When performed under the care of experts, the procedure can cause an immediate reduction of headache pain. It’s a minimally invasive procedure with virtually no side effects.
Physical medicine is a fast, safe, and non-invasive way to treat many headaches related to stress and tension. Our approach targets neuromuscular components, which have been designed to mitigate and recover the stressed muscles and regions leading to headaches and migraines. A personalized physical medicine plan might include pressure point treatment along the scalp, massage, hot and cold therapy, ultrasound, and electrical muscle stimulation.
There’s no need to continue to suffer from chronic or severe headache pain with so many treatment options available. The National Headache Institute in Miami will diagnose the underlying cause of your pain and develop an individualized treatment plan to target your specific needs. Let us help you achieve freedom from headache pain so you can enjoy life to the fullest.