IS THE WEATHER TO BLAME FOR YOUR MIGRAINE?
One of the worst things for migraine sufferers is that an attack can often appear out of nowhere and with no warning. But could the weather report hold the answer to preventing these seemingly random attacks?
Some migraine sufferers seem to be more sensitive to weather changes. More and more scientific studies are being carried out to see whether the weather could be a migraine trigger.
IT SEEMS THE MOST COMMON WEATHER TRIGGERS COULD INCLUDE:
- WINDY OR STORMY WEATHER
- HUMID WEATHER
- BRIGHT SUNLIGHT
- EXTREME COLD OR HOT TEMPERATURES
- DRY AIR
- BAROMETRIC PRESSURE CHANGES
WHY COULD THE WEATHER BE A MIGRAINE TRIGGER?
For some people, imbalances in brain chemicals can be caused by changes in the weather. One of these chemicals is serotonin, a chemical already known to cause migraines. The weather may also make a migraine brought on by other triggers worse.
HOW TO COPE WITH A MIGRAINE TRIGGERED BY THE WEATHER
Of course, you can’t live your life completely by the weather and you can’t change the weather, so it makes sense to try and minimize the symptoms and effects of weather on your health.
- KEEPING A HEADACHE DIARY CAN HELP. MAKE A NOTE OF WHEN YOUR HEADACHE FIRST OCCURRED, THE DURATION OF THE ATTACK AND ANY CONDITIONS THAT MAY HAVE BEEN THE CAUSE. THIS CAN HELP YOU TO DETERMINE WHETHER A CERTAIN WEATHER CONDITION OR SOMETHING ELSE WAS THE TRIGGER
- KEEP AN EYE ON CHANGES IN THE WEATHER AND TRY TO AVOID TRIGGERS IF POSSIBLE. OF COURSE, YOU NEED TO GO TO WORK OR CARRY OUT DAILY CHORES SO IT ISN’T ALWAYS POSSIBLE TO STAY INDOORS. HOWEVER, YOU COULD INVEST IN SOME GOOD QUALITY SUNGLASSES IF BRIGHT SUNLIGHT IS A TRIGGER OR KEEP YOURSELF COOL IN HUMID WEATHER WITH A FAN OR WATER SPRAY.
- WHATEVER YOUR MIGRAINE TRIGGERS, WE CAN HELP
Sometimes it isn’t so easy to determine what has triggered your migraine. The good news is that the chronic headaches and migraine experts at Miami Headache Institute hold the key to accurate diagnosis and effective treatment.
If the weather is not triggering your attacks, we will work closely with you to find what is. We can then work at controlling or eliminating this trigger from your daily life or formulating a treatment plan that is tailored to your needs
BOOK YOUR CONSULTATION AT NATIONAL HEADACHE INSTITUTE TODAY
Book a consultation with The National Headache Institute today for fast and effective relief from migraine headaches. Ask for more information about the range of headache treatments and therapies we have available. Call us or use our contact form to book a consultation.