HOW HEADACHES AFFECT QUALITY OF LIFE
Migraines, chronic and tension headaches can turn your life upside down. Most people who suffer from them are not able to function normally, and some may even require bed rest for lengthy periods of time.
One of the most common ailments diagnosed today, research reveals that around 45 million Americans suffer from chronic headaches. Although most headaches are not life-threatening, they can severely impact quality of life.
People who suffer from chronic headaches report:
- INCIDENCE OF DEPRESSION WHICH AFFECTS THEIR PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL LIFE
- INABILITY TO FUNCTION AT WORK AND CONSEQUENT DECLINE IN PRODUCTIVITY WHICH IMPACTS JOB SECURITY AND EMPLOYMENT
- A STRAIN ON SPOUSAL AND FAMILY RELATIONS WHICH CAUSES FURTHER TENSION AND MAY TRIGGER MORE FREQUENT OR CHRONIC ATTACKS.
- DECLINE IN SOCIAL ACTIVITY WHICH CAN LEAD TO ISOLATION AND DEPRESSION
- FRUSTRATION AND ANGER FROM NOT BEING ABLE TO COMPLETE DAILY TASKS OR DO THE THINGS THEY LIKE
- ADDITIONAL SYMPTOMS SUCH AS DIZZINESS, SLEEP DISTURBANCE, PAIN (INCLUDING NECK PAIN, BACK PAIN AND ABDOMINAL PAIN) WHICH CAN CAUSE THEM TO WITHDRAW FROM LIFE COMPLETELY
Headaches affect people of all ages, including children and teenagers. Medications only offer temporary relief, and in addition to concerns about the side-effects of frequent medication is the risk of becoming immune to them.
IS THERE AN END TO HEADACHES?
For any headache treatment to be effective, it must treat the cause rather than just provide temporary pain relief. Unfortunately, medication only treats the symptoms.
It is important to understand that a headache can have many different causes, from tension and viruses to tumors or disease. In 1988, the International Headache Society (IHS) categorized headaches into two basic types.
- PRIMARY HEADACHE DISORDERS INCLUDE MIGRAINES, TENSION HEADACHES, CLUSTER HEADACHES AND HEADACHES ASSOCIATED WITH EXERTION, COLDS AND OTHER BENIGN CONDITIONS AND ACTIVITIES INCLUDING SEX.
- SECONDARY HEADACHES CAUSED BY EVOLVING DISORDERS SUCH AS BRAIN TUMORS, ANEURYSMS, HEAD TRAUMA AND BRAIN HEMORRHAGING OR INFLAMMATION. A STRAIN ON SPOUSAL AND FAMILY RELATIONS WHICH CAUSES FURTHER TENSION AND MAY TRIGGER MORE FREQUENT OR CHRONIC ATTACKS.
What most people don’t know is that it is possible to end headaches completely or at least provide lasting relief. These treatments range from Botox to ultrasound and neuromuscular headache therapy.
FIND THE CAUSE OF YOUR HEADACHE AND THE RIGHT TREATMENT FOR IT
The National Headache Institute provides expert diagnosis of headaches which results in our patients getting effective relief, even permanently ending headaches in some cases. Our specialized treatments are based on the cause of your headaches and tailored to meet the individualized needs of each patient. We focus on determining WHY you have headaches and trying to prevent them from occurring.
Speak to us today to find out more about how our headache diagnosis and treatments can improve your quality of life. Call our specialist headache management team today or use our contact form to book a consultation.