HOW A HEADACHE DIARY COULD PINPOINT THE CAUSE OF YOUR HEADACHES
If you suffer from chronic headaches, you don’t need us to tell you how painful and upsetting they can be. Depending on the severity of symptoms, your headache could prevent you from living life to the full, or at the very least, cancelling all plans for the day ahead.
We often forget about a headache once it has shifted, but this could actually be part of the problem. By not keeping track of what caused the headache, the symptoms and the cure, you may be missing out on a long term solution. This is where a headache diary can be truly beneficial.
At the National Headache Institute, we recommend that all of our patients keep some form of diary or record of their headaches. This helps us understand the causes and severity of our patients’ pain and to recommend the most effective form of treatment.
HERE ARE JUST SOME OF THE THINGS YOU CAN MAKE A NOTE OF WHEN A HEADACHE STRIKES:
- THE START AND END TIMES OF YOUR HEADACHE
- TYPE OF PAIN EXPERIENCED (THROBBING, PRESSING, STABBING, ETC.)
- LOCATION OF PAIN (BEHIND EYES, TEMPLES, BACK OF NECK, ETC.)
- PAIN INTENSITY AT A LEVEL OF 1-10
- WERE THERE ANY OTHER SYMPTOMS? DIZZINESS? NAUSEA?
- DID YOU TAKE ANY MEDICATION? AND IF SO, WHAT?
- DID MEDICATION WORK?
- HOW LONG DID THE MEDICATION TAKE TO WORK?
- DID YOUR HEADACHE AFFECT YOUR NORMAL ROUTINE? HOW?
- DID YOU SLEEP WELL THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR HEADACHE STARTED?
- NOTE WHAT YOU ATE OR DRANK BEFORE YOUR HEADACHE. CAFFEINE, DIET SODAS, CHOCOLATE AND ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS ARE ALL KNOWN HEADACHE TRIGGERS.
- WERE YOU STRESSED TODAY?
A HEADACHE DIARY CAN HELP PREVENT HEADACHES FROM OCCURRING
We recommend that you keep your headache diary for at least 2 weeks, or record a minimum of four headache episodes. No two headaches are exactly the same, but by recording the details, you will be able to pinpoint patterns or causes that could help you and our headache experts to work together towards solving the problem.
TAKE YOUR HEADACHE DIARY EVERYWHERE – IT WILL BE WORTH IT
By taking your headache diary with you wherever you go during the day, you will be able to record the onset of your headache the moment it starts, record where you are and what you are doing and all of the other details we have mentioned above. In doing so, you could finally rid yourself from the pain that you have lived with for so long.
Book your consultation with the National Headache Institute today for individualized treatment for your headaches. We will find the right treatment plan for you and help you live a life without pain. Call us or use our contact form to book a consultation.