COULD MASSAGE BE THE HEADACHE CURE YOU’VE BEEN SEARCHING FOR?
NEUROMUSCULAR HEADACHE THERAPY – PART 1
Did you know that around 45 million people suffer from chronic headaches in the United States? Did you also know that headaches are one of the most common ailments diagnosed and treated by physicians today?
Headaches are most often treated with over-the-counter medications, but these should only be used as a short-term solution. Too many pain relief medicines can lead to addiction and could also render these drugs ineffective. The good news is that long-term relief for headaches may be found in neuromuscular therapies such as massage.
HOW CAN MASSAGE BE AN EFFECTIVE HEADACHE TREATMENT?
Massage is often used as a means of relaxation or a way to treat sports injuries. What many people don’t know is that massage can also be used to treat different types of headaches including tension headaches, chronic headaches and migraine.
MASSAGE IS EFFECTIVE FOR MANY REASONS:
- MASSAGE CAN PROMOTE CIRCULATION AND BLOOD FLOW TO AREAS THAT MIGHT BE ISCHEMIC (LACKING BLODD FLOW). THIS CAN HELP TO RELIEVE PAIN AND MINIMIZE HEADACHES.
- MASSAGE CAN REDUCE PAIN FELT IN TRIGGER POINTS. THESE ARE AREAS OF HYPER-IRRITABLE TISSUE THAT ARE QUITE TENDER AND WHICH CAN ALSO TRIGGER PAIN IN OTHER AREAS OF THE BODY.
- IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING MUSCLE SPASMS AND TENSION, MASSAGE CAN LOOSEN THOSE TIGHT MUSCLES AND HELP TO EASE ANY TIGHT BANDS OF TISSUE THAT COULD BE CAUSING YOU PAIN. HELPING WITH NECK ALIGNMENT AND MUSCLE BALANCE CAN REALLY EASE THE ONSET OF HEADACHES AND SEVERITY OF PAIN.
- DID YOU KNOW THAT MASSAGE CAN ALSO HELP REGULATE HORMONES? IF YOU HAVE A HIGH LEVEL OF THE STRESS HORMONE CORTISOL IN YOUR SYSTEM, THIS COULD ALSO CAUSE HEADACHES AND JOINT PAIN. BECAUSE MASSAGE THERAPY CAN INCREASE ENDORPHINS, YOU WILL FIND THAT YOU FEEL MORE RELAXED AFTER A MASSAGE. DECREASED STRESS PLUS BETTER SLEEP CAN MEAN LESS HEADACHES.
- MASSAGE ALSO PROVIDES HOPE FOR MIGRAINE SUFFERERS. IT IS, AS YET, UNCLEAR AS TO WHY MASSAGE HELPS IN THESE CASES, BUT THIS THERAPY HAS BEEN PROVEN TIME AND TIME AGAIN IN STUDIES TO HELP WITH A MIGRAINE CONDITION.
EXPERIENCE THE POWER AND HEALING EFFECTS OF NEUROMUSCULAR THERAPY
The National Headache Institute is pleased to announce the appointment of our very own massage and neuromuscular therapist. Following diagnosis from one of our headache experts, we can recommend a course of massage treatments that will help to relieve your headaches and prevent them from occurring in the first place.
Speak to us today to find out more about the beneficial effects of massage and how neuromuscular therapy could spell the end of your headaches for good. Call our specialist headache management team today use our contact form to book a consultation.